Tuesday 9 October 2012

on being a godmother


You know, I'm not really sappy. I mean, sure, I pull out a tearjerker every now and then - ask my friends -, but I'm not one to host the International Festival of Cheesiness or anything. However, when this little 6 pound warm ball of hair, mush, butterflies and candy came into this world, every day with her makes these darn feelings stir up inside of me. From the moment her little button nose and wide eyes stared right into my soul, I knew I was a goner...in the best possible way.
With M. being a January baby, I learned I was going to be her godmama on the previous Christmas. You could say it was my Christmas present, but it was so much more. It was my chance to be a role model in this observant, exhilarating, excited, fun and quirky little cupcake's life, but also have a place in her journey through it all. I think there are few things - if any - that top the feeling I get when I hear her yell my name, hug me real tight, sit on my lap during meals (we're still working on realizing when it's lunch time and play time), ask me to play with her one hundred and five toys, ask me to take her to the potty just so we can chat or even embrace awkwardness at the park when she shamelessly points at the grass and mildly screams that that's where dogs go potty. We like entertaining crowds, people.
It's a hard job if you think about it. Helping raise a child and making sure she has all the right foundations and values to serve her through life is key and sometimes challenging, but it's the best part of being human. It's what makes life worthwhile. It's that moment when you can see in their eyes that they're happy and that they love you.
Now you're all saying, "you lied. You're full of cheese and mush inside of you" ... to which I angrily stump my feet and say, "darn right I am. And with her, I'd be a walking ball of cheese if I had to." Um. Okay. That may have come out wrong.

Post a Comment

Instagram

© francisca may testing. Design by FCD.